pin

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Painting Shadows

                           

I am teaching a new landscape lesson with my 5th graders. Their objective is to express mood and show depth in a winter landscape. I am always excited to try something new, but working out the bugs can be a creative challenge. As a group, we have been successful painting a winter landscape with a cool or warm color pallet, and tearing watercolor paper to make Birch trees. Tuesday, we started adding fences and shadows. Fences..... A perspective challenge!! Shadows.... A bigger challenge for my picky students! When they mixed the colors, we had muddy shadows.
                                                     

 I backed up on my teaching plan, and had the students pull out their sketch books. We practiced a perspective fence, and then transferred it to the painted paper. Mixing grays for shadows next was a mess. As I drove to work today I decided to help out with the mixin!  I created three different grays using Dick Blick liquid water colors, and had them test it in their sketchbook first. Presto.... they had a masterpiece. I live for the small things and this made my week art teacher friends!




I added some outstanding work to the painted frames in our school hallway today!






6 comments:

  1. Amazing! It's hard to believe that these are only fifth grade students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are stunning! Your students did a a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you teacher friends! I was pretty proud of them. They worked so hard on it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. Beth

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.